Rescue Squad 3 is the heavy rescue apparatus assigned to Firehouse 51. Equipped with specialized tools for heavy rescue, it responds to all working fires and calls requiring technical rescue. Squad is staffed by 4-5 firefighters.
Rescue Squad 3 was originally a 1989 Spartan Gladiator / Saulsbury heavy rescue truck bearing the traditional black-over-red paint scheme of the Chicago Fire Department. Prior to being used on the show, it was in service until 2003 as Unit 5-1-1 of the real life Hazardous Incident Team (HIT), which is the Chicago Fire Department's hazardous materials response team. Later on during Seasons 1 and 2, they occasionally switched between the original squad truck and a 1996 HME heavy rescue also owned by the CFD. Finally during mid-Season 2, the show received a 1989 Spartan Gladiator / 3D-Metals heavy rescue truck from the Antioch (IL) Fire Department and had it repainted for the show. The Antioch rig has been used ever since.
Current Members Edit
- Officer - Lt. Kelly Severide
- Engineer/Driver - Tony Ferraris
- Firefighter - Harold Capp
- Firefighter - Joe Cruz
Previous Members Edit
- Jose Vargas - Inhaled toxic fumes during a fire and was placed on long term disability.
- Lt. Eric Whaley - Relief Lieutenant in Season 1
- Kevin Hadley - Kicked out for pranking Peter Mills, later became an arsonist for revenge-now in prison.
- Jeff Clarke - Replacement for Hadley, promoted to Lieutenant and transferred to Firehouse 25.
- Peter Mills - Resigned from CFD.
- Rick Newhouse - Replacement for Clarke, went on vacation to San Diego instead of working and was transferred out.
- Tommy Welch - Temporary replacement for Newhouse during the leadership of Pat Pridgen.
- Scott Rice - Replacement for Newhouse, was then fired for bailing out during a structure fire.
- Dallas Patterson (Captain) - Temporarily served as replacement for Severide, promoted to Battalion Chief and transferred to Firehouse 90.
- Jason Kannell - Transferred to Squad 3 first shift after a brief stint in late-Season 5.